Maltipoos are cute, friendly, intelligent, playful and very hairy. Because of their adorable hairiness a Maltipoo Grooming and Maltipoo haircuts is needed by the dog. A Maltipoo is a dog that is the product of breeding a Maltese dog and purebred Poodle. The dog has the traits of both parents like being friendly, fun-loving, feisty, active, playful, social and intelligent. Physically a Maltipoo dog gains a coat with a wool-like texture that is low-dander, fluffy and low-shedding. Said coat can either be curly and thick, silky and straight or wiry and wavy (the latter is not a desirable coat compared to the previous two coats) that has hypoallergenic properties. Finally, the coat comes in many colors like apricot, black, blue, brown, cream, gray, red, silver and white.
It’s true that a Maltipoo dog’s coat gives it it’s cute, adorable and cuddly look, yet at the same time, it needs the occasional Maltipoo Haircut and Maltipoo Grooming. Neglecting the care of the Maltipoo dog’s coat will produce mats and snarls. The dog’s appearance will look messy and as a result, will cease to look cute, adorable and cuddly.
If you’re worried about your Maltipoo dog’s coat, then worry not. This guide will help you learn how to do a Maltipoo Grooming and know the various Maltipoo Haircut styles that fit your precious Maltipoo dog or puppy.
How to Properly Groom your Maltipoo Dog
Grooming a Maltipoo ensures that the dog will look tidy and clean due to it being mat as well as snarl-free. Now you are thinking that grooming a Maltipoo only involves its coat; the truth is that it affects the dog’s whole body to its head and down to its toes. Here are several means of grooming your Maltipoo dog.
Step by step bathing guide for Maltipoos
Giving your dog need not be a chore or a bother. In fact, this grooming task is a very fun activity. If a Maltipoo is still a puppy, please refrain from giving it a bath since its dam will be the one doing this task. During the weaning period of the puppy when it is 4 to 5 weeks old you can use a washcloth that is warm to wipe them down slowly. Do not use any shampoos or soap only warm water. Only when the Maltipoo puppy reaches eight weeks old can you give it a bath. If you got have done any Maltipoo haircuts on your dog recently, it would make your task easier since you have less hair to deal.
Bathe your dog once every three weeks. It may seem a good idea to wash your Maltipoo dog often, but in the long run, the baths will remove the dog’s natural body oils which are essential to its coat’s health and at the same time the dog’s skin will dry out. On the other hand neglecting the Maltipoo dog’s bath often will cause the body oil of the dog to accumulate which can lead to hair tangles, bad odor and blocked skin pores.
When giving a Maltipoo its bath, do not use any soap or shampoo product that has harsh chemicals, and you should not use bleach as well. These chemicals leave a residue of your dog’s coat which can have adverse effects.
Use soap that has antibacterial properties. You can also use the following supplies listed below:
- A High-quality canine shampoo and conditioner. Be sure to pick a brand that proves useful on a dog.
- Two soft washcloths. Use one for washing during the bath, while the other is for covering the Maltipoo’s eyes during rinse off time.
- An absorbent towel. Make sure it’s big enough to wrap your dog and use the towel immediately after bathing the dog.
- Use several sterile gauzes pad for cleaning the Maltipoo’s ears while you are bathing the dog.
- A small pair of forceps and tweezers that is specifically for canine use. Use the forceps or tweezers to pluck out any long stray hair found in the dog’s ears. Also used during bath time.
- A leave-in conditioner spritz that can help smooth any tangles and adds a layer of protection to the Maltipoo dog’s coat hair.
- A canine comb with the wide tooth. Use a comb that is for toy breeds like the Maltipoo.
If your Maltipoo is still a puppy, the following tips above are applicable. However, you still need to do the following tasks for your pup. Note that at this point the puppy hasn’t got any Maltipoo haircuts due its immaturity.
- Do not fill the sink that you will use to bathe your puppy. Put in the sink’s stopper then fill the sink with warm water up to three inches only.
- Once that’s done, test the water with your hand to accurately gauge the water’s temperature.
- Take you a puppy and put him water. Be gentle with the Maltipoo pup as lower it in the sink and water. Talk to your puppy in a soothing and calm voice to dampen your pet’s fear.
- To make your puppy feel safe when bathing hold onto it at all times with one hand. Keep doing this until the time that your Maltipoo pup gets used to being bathed.
- Begin the bath by soaking the pup’s coat. The hairs of a Maltipoo are water-resistant, so you need to ensure that the pup’s coat is wet down to its skin before using shampoo. If the puppy is timid use a spray nozzle or small containers to make it wet.
- Make sure to scrub all the body parts of the puppy. Pay close attention to its underbelly, tail and genitals.
- Meanwhile, clean the pup’s eyes with a washcloth and be careful not to spray water directly in its ears. Excess water that accumulates in the Maltipoo puppy’s ear canals will cause bacterial infection.
After giving the Maltipoo a bath towel off your pet thoroughly and while its hair still damp comb it since the hair’s dampness makes it easier to brush. Once bath time is finished its time to do the following tasks
Tasks to do after the Maltipoo dog’s bath
Once bath time is finished its time to do the following tasks:
- Dry the dog’s coat thoroughly by air drying or using a blow-dryer. If you choose the latter as a means of drying the hair thoroughly be mindful that the settings on the device are medium or low not high. Additionally, you can use a small pin brush or wide tooth comb in tandem with the blow-dryer. Hold up the layers of the Maltipoos coat while you dry its roots then work your way up to the ends. Maltipoos who got Maltipoo haircuts are easier to dry due to having fewer layers of coat hair, and any Maltipoo Haircut styles can use drying by a blow-dryer.
- Brush your dog with a small rubber pin brush. The rubber pin brush is gentler compared to a non-rubber pin brush which scratches as well as injure your Maltipoo’s skin. Brush down to the coat’s roots and the up and out. This method will give more fluff to the coat’s hair as well as pulling out any dead hairs. You can do this task after the dog’s bath. Even if the dog got a Maltipoo haircut, you still need, and every Maltipoo Haircut styles can benefit from a good brushing.
- Trim the dog’s nails and do a declaw. A Maltipoo’s nail grows quickly and will cause pain, ingrown and snags of fabrics. Declaws are the dog’s “thumbs” you can choose to remove it or not. Bear in mind that it will also become ingrown and will snag on a brush or comb.
- Anal glands are small glands located near the anus of some animals like dogs. These glands secrete a liquid when a dog encounters another dog. The result is that too many fluids will fill the organs that can lead to swelling and breaking open. Simply squeeze the gland gently so that it contents will be released. In cases of repeated infection removing the glands is a must.
- The ear of a Maltipoo requires cleaning as well. Make sure to keep it free of excess wax and moisture. Always check the ears after a bath since the water tends to accumulate in some places of the dog’s ear. Should an ear infection occur bring the dog to a vet immediately before the infection gets worse.
List of Haircuts and Styles for Maltipoo dogs
A Maltipoo dog is a designer dog that is bred to be desirable in both form and temperament by crossbreeding different dog breeds. Because of the Maltipoo’s pedigree, its coat hair allows lots of creativity by cutting and trimming the hair. Some will go for a short haircut or a long hair cut method. There is a wide selection of haircuts for Maltipoos that you can choose from, and some are adorable and cute Maltipoo haircuts styles.
Before you begin to give your dog one of the varied Maltipoo haircuts styles learn what kind styles are suitable for your dog’s coat:
Thick and curly coat – This is similar to a Poodle’s coat. This coat type doesn’t grow long, but it can be dense. It can be difficult to part its hair curls due to it being tight. The result is that the hair curls fall to either one side.
Soft and Silky coat – This coat makes the dog similar to its Maltese parent. The coat cannot grow long to fulfill “show dog” (hair flows to the floor) standards, but it will be long enough for aesthetics purposes. Because the coat is wavy, the length of the coat will be limited. One of the cute Maltipoo haircuts that can be used on a dog with this coat type is called a “Puppy Cut.”
Wiry and wavy – The least desirable of all coat types due to it being hard to control thus limiting your Maltipoo haircuts choices. As such you cannot use any stylish haircuts for Maltipoos on this coat. The only suitable Maltipoo Haircut for a dog with this kind of coat is to cut it short.
Here is a list of cute Maltipoo haircuts styles for your dog:
Town and Country Clip – The hair on the dog’s belly, face and legs are the ones getting Maltipoo haircuts. The rest of the body may be of any length you desire. The coat is brushed to its fullest.
Miami or Bikini Cut – The growth of the body hair of the dog may be at any length. Face, feet, and tail is shaved, but there will a pom on the feet, face and the end of the tail. You may recognize as a style for Poodles, but it is also included as one of the Maltipoo haircuts styles.
Utility or Kennel Clips – The ears of the dog are trimmed and brushed full. The body hair is shaped along the body contours by using a scissor. Face, feet, and tail is shaved, but there is pom on the tail’s end.
Lamb Cut – Same as Utility or Kennel Clips, but the hair length is longer and matches the length of the Maltipoo’s body. Lamb Cut is also used for show Poodles.
Puppy Cut or Pet Clip – Shaving is done along the contours of the dog’s body while the hair of the Maltipoo’s head is pulled into a knot with a band fastening it. The ears clipped by scissors and brushed full. This style is the most popular of all Maltipoo haircuts styles.
Continental Cut – Poms are allowed to grow in the dog’s feet. The belly, face, and legs are shaved clean while the remaining hair on its body is brushed full.
That’s all there is to it when it comes to grooming and giving your Maltipoo dog a style of haircut. You can Maltipoo haircuts by yourself if you are skilled enough. If not bring your dog to a professional that excels at Maltipoo haircuts. Remember sometimes the looks of your Maltipoo is only second compared to its friendly and loving attitude.
For More Information about Maltipoos and Teacup Dogs visit our homepage